|Phone||(+994 12) 5370992|
|Fax||(+994 12) 5372285|
|Chief||Babayev Shekhali Aliikram oglu
Dr. of geological-mineralogical sciences
|Total number of employees||26|
|Basic activity directions||- Development of stratigraphic base for the large-scale geomapping, further detailization of geochronological and geochronometric scales of Phanerozoic in Azerbaijan;
- Development of new methods of stratigraphy: seismostratigraphy, stratigraphy of beddings, formed as a result of relative fluctuations of the sea level (sequencestratigraphy), basin stratigraphy, magnetostratigraphy, geochemical stratigraphy and climatic stratigraphy, revealing and preservation of rare paleontological and stratigraphic objects;
- Development of new principles of the application of paleontological-stratigraphic investigations to study sedimentary basins and prediction of commercial minerals, in paleogeographical, paleoclimatic and paleotectonic reconstructions;
- Studies of the organic kingdom evolution;
- Paleoecology and paleozoogeography;
- Application of results of paleontologicalstratigraphic investigations to create geodynamic models of large structural units in Azerbaijan taking into consideration all the recent conceptions;
- Application of mathematical methods to dissect and correlate of sections, solution of taxonomic problems.
|Main scientific achievements||The department specialists have developed detailed regional stratigraphic schemes of the dissection of Phanerozoic in Azerbaijan and monographically studied different archistratigraphic groups of paleofauna in Azerbaijan (ammonites, belemnites, nummulites other groups of foraminifers), corals, urchins, gastropods, bivalve mollusks, brachiopods, Cenozoic flora and etc.
There has been edited a unique atlas “The Cretaceous fauna of Azerbaijan, which is a comprehensive generalization of longterm investigations of paleontologists in Azerbaijan, studying the Cretaceous deposits of the Republic. There has been summarized abundant factual data on stratigraphy of the territory of Azerbaijan and published a volume “Stratigraphy of Azerbaijan” (the first volume of multivolume edition “Geology of Azerbaijan”) in two parts.
It is compiled an atlas of paleogeographic maps (44 maps) of Phanerozoic in Azerbaijan.
It is worked out and edited geochronological scale of Azerbaijan.
“Stratigraphic atlas of oil-and-gas bearing complexes of Azerbaijan” was drawn and published.
The paleontologists of the department applied mathematical models of shells of nummulitides with a polytomic tables for diagnostics and classification of species.
Important tasks for future scientists’ research of paleontology and stratigraphy department are compiling stratigraphic dictionary of Azerbaijan, creation of new geochronological scale of Azerbaijan and establishment of the absolute age laboratory.