|Place of birth||Quba town|
|Date of birth||05.06.1968|
|Education||Baku State University|
|Scientific degree||Doctor of Sciences|
Topic of PhD thesis:
- specialty code
- specialty name
- topic name
03.00.05 (now 2417.01)
Biology of the fungi causing tracheomycosis of wood plants
Topic of doctoral thesis:
- specialty code
- specialty name
- topic name
Fungi associated with forest trees, taxonomy and phylogeny of pathogenic species
Total number of printed scientific publications:
- number of scientific publications printed abroad:
- number of papers published in journals indexed and abstracted in international databases
|Number of patents and certificates of authorship|
- number of PhD
- number of Doctor of sciences
|Basic scientific achievements||Fungi of the main forest tree species in Azerbaijan have been identified. To assess the potential impact of diseases to forest trees in Azerbaijan, the presence of pathogenic fungi was investigated.
Two new pathogens, Cryphonectria parasitica and Opiostoma novo-ulmi were found for the first time for Azerbaijan. These species were identified based on morphology and nucleotide sequences of rDNA (ITS1/5.8S/ITS2) and pathogenicity of the fungi was tested. Root rot fungi on hardwoods were found, and Armillaria mellea subsp. mellea was identified based on sequences of rDNA (IGS and ITS regions). This is a new record for Azerbaijan.
Ophiostoma ips and its insect vectors (Coleoptera: Scolytidae: Orthotomicus erosus and Hylurgus ligniperda) were isolated from the endemic pine (Pinus brutia subsp. eldarica) and recorded for the first time in Azerbaijan. It was concluded that fungus was recently introduced to Azerbaijan with its bark beetle associates.
Ophiostoma spp. with Sporothrix anamorphs were characterized based on sequences of the ITS1/5.8S/ITS2 regions of rDNA and partial sequences of the gene β-tubulin, morphology, growth in culture and sexual reproductive mode. It was found that O. stenoceras consists of a complex of several species.
The species boundaries for Ophiostoma quercus, in the O.piceae-O.quercus complex were reconsidered by using micro-morphology together with phylogenetic analyses of DNA sequences for four gene regions (ITS1/5.8S/ITS2, BT2, TEF-1α, HIS). O. quercus sensu stricto has been delimited and statuses of other species as synonyms in the complex have been clarified.
Nine new species were described belonging to the genera Ophiostoma, Raffaelea and Sporothrix. Investigations were carried out in the frame of PostDoc programme at the FABI, University of Pretoria (SA, 2002-2003) and projects: STCU № 3625 (2006-2008), № 4797 (2009-2011); UNESCO/Keizo Obuchi Research Fellow-ships Programme (2005-2006); SDF-2010-1(1) (2010-2011) etc.
|Names of scientific works||
1. Aghayeva D.N. 2001. Mycobita of Castanea sativa Mill. in Azerbaijan. Forest, Snow and Landscape Research, v. 76. № 3, p. 405-408.
2. Aghayeva D.N., Wingfield M.J., De Beer Z.W., Kirisits T. 2004. Two new Ophiostoma species with Sporothrix anamorphs from Austria and Azerbaijan. Mycologia, v.96, №4, p. 865-877.
3. Aghayeva D.N., Wingfield M.J., Kirisits T., Wingfield B.D. 2005. Ophiostomadentifundum sp.nov. from oak in Europe, characterized using molecular phylogenetic data and morphology. Mycological Research, v.109, № 10, P.1127-1136.
4. Aghayeva D., Harrington T. 2008. First report of Cryphonectria parasitica on chestnut (Castanea sativa) in Azerbaijan. Plant Pathology, v. 57, №2, p.383
5. Grobbelaar J., Aghaeva D.N., de Beer W., Bloomer P. Wingfield M.J., Wingfield B.D. 2009. Delimitation of Ophiostoma quercus and its synonyms using multiple gene phylogenies. Mycological Progress , v.8, № 3, p. 221-236.
6. Harrington T.C., Aghayeva D.N. Fraedrick S.W. 2010. New combinations in Raffaelea, and four new species from the redbay ambrosia beetle,Xyleborus glabratus. Mycotaxon, v.111. p. 337-361.7. Ağayeva D.N. 2011. Mikologiyada tətbiq edilən ənənəvi və müasir metodlar. Bakı: Elm, 207 s.
|Membership with international and foreign scientific organizations||Member of Botanical Society of Azerbaijan.|
|Pedagogical activity||Baku State University (1999, 2000, 2013)|
Member of the Scientific board of the Institute of Botany, ANAS
Member of the Editorial board of the proceedings of the Institute of Botany, ANASMember of the FD 01.222 Dissertation board of the Institute of Microbiology, ANAS
|Awards and prizes||
UNESCO/Keizo Obuchi Research Fellowships Programme Award (2006)Honorary decree of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences
|Main place of work and its address||
Institute of Botany, ANAS, Badamdar shosse 40, Baku, AZ1004, Azerbaijan
|Position||Head of department “Lower plant systematics”|
|Office phone||(+994 12) 5024330|
|Fax||(+994 12) 4970994|